Architectural Designer & Detailer
The Architectural Designer/Detailer is responsible to lead the project design phase and assist the project manager and superintendent during construction. Duties include design, creation of plans and specs, scheduling, resource allocation, communication, and control, while providing technical direction and ensuring compliance with building codes, quality standards, and constructability.
- Promote job site safety, encourages safe work practices.
COORDINATION / COMMUNICATION
- Initiate and keep current the PROJECT DESIGN CHECKLIST.
- Assist in or take lead in: creating the design teams, developing the objectives/goals of each and assigning responsibilities and deadlines.
- Co-ordinate the efforts of all parties involved in the project design, which include the engineers, consultants, contractors, and in-house personnel working on the project.
- Hold regular design meetings with the design teams.
- Ensure the project is completed in conformance with the project programming, scope, budget, signed contract, subcontracts, purchase agreements and code requirements.
- Schedule and attend preconstruction, weekly project meetings and post construction meetings as needed.
- Periodic inspection of construction sites.
- Ensure project documents are complete.
- Ensure the President is made aware and has the needed information on any problems that may be of corporate interest.
- Acquire thorough knowledge of project program, requirements, plans, specifications and project conditions.
- Communicate and coordinate with Owner for design impact of Owner furnished items.
DESIGN / DOCUMENTS
- Check all work before releasing to next person in line.
- Peer review of completed work before publishing for permit or construction.
- Coordinate details; meeting of dissimilar materials, material thicknesses, finishes, etc.
- Verify and maintain the latest current drawings on Procore and distribute to project team.
- AutoCAD, Revit, Sketch-UP, Photoshop, etc.
- Sheet set up, Red-line revisions, CAD standards implementation.
- Field Surveying, Dimensional and conditional.
- Functional Design, Programming, Budgetary and Aesthetic concerns.
- Zoning analysis, Building Code Review.
- Specification selection and implementation. Materials selections.
- Quality Control – cross discipline check sets, permit, and construction sets.
- Submittal / shop drawing review – recognize cross-discipline coordination requirements.
- RFI response – appropriate type and tone, recognize broader implication / coordination issues.
- Manage field changes and revisions to the construction and as-built sets.
- Assist with project closeout manual and as-built plans.
- Assist in preparing the design portion of the project schedule with the PM or project Executive to ensure that all parties are working together toward the same common goal.
- Monitor the design progress for compliance with the project plan and schedule.
- Assist in the submittal process by checking all items for compliance with the project plans and specifications as requested by project team members.
- Responsible for correspondence required with Owner, Engineers, other Design Professionals, Subcontractors and Suppliers during design phase and during course of construction as required for design issues. Project Executive or Manager may be responsible depending on the stage of the project.
- Exceed client expectations for each project by understanding client needs, wants, preferences and culture.
- Assist in preparing the project close out manual and plans for the owner and review final product with owner or owner’s rep. as required.
- Communicate effectively with the subcontractors assisting in design and responsible for completing various phases of the project.
- Evaluates performance of Engineers, other Design Professionals, Subcontractors and Suppliers during design phase and during course of construction as required for design issues.
- Coordinate with construction personnel regarding construction practices, techniques, strategies, and procedures to further refine the design process and eliminate errors.
KNOWLEDGE / TRAINING
- Actively participate in all company-wide training and development initiatives, also work with and mentor assistant project managers, architects, and superintendents.
- Set up / attend product specific webinars / lunch and learns, site demonstrations, etc.
- Visit job sites on a regular basis to
- Understand how the pieces come together in real world applications.
- Work with PMs and supers to resolve design issues and conflicts.
- Incorporate field best practice standards.